Thursday 14 January 2010

Stan's Challenge for PPJ group

I am hoping you will all meet someone in PPJ. The person I want you to meet is yourself. By this I mean that I am hoping you will see your self in a new light.

We are suggesting that for our time in Thailand we should be "unplugged". Switch off your ipods. Turn off the phone. Put away the 3g games, and don't use the hours looking at screens big or small.

What you then see may surprise you. You will see young people that do not have a cent to bless themselves with brimming with happiness. It may dawn on you that happiness is not about having.

We in NZ are conditioned to think that our toys are the conduits through which pleasure and happiness comes. We assume that the person with the most or the latest toys must be supremely happy.

The community at PPJ puts the lie into the notions. We are forced to wonder, "have I been going in the wrong directions?". The PPJ experience gives us the opportunity to ask "Who am I?", "Where am I going?", and "Who could I be?"

No comments:

Post a Comment